Click for a description of each course:
♫ Level I
♫ Level II
♫ Level III
♫ Special Topics
♫ Tuition & Schedule
KODÁLY ASSOCIATION OF SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA
MUSIC EDUCATION INSTITUTE
Summer 2015 Program
JULY 6-24, 2015
Azusa Pacific University, Azusa, CA
Nationally-endorsed Kodály Certification*
Founded by Katinka S. Dániel (1913-2010)
Levels I, II, III*
Pre-certification core: Pedagogy, Musicianship,
Choral Experience, Folk Song Research I, II, III (if requested)
Special Topics Courses
Designed for choral conductors who want to learn Kodály choral approach
and solfege skills without classroom certification; 4 hours daily, 3 weeks
Teaching Musicianship Skills
Designed for high school/college teachers of AP theory or
music fundamentals courses; 3 hours daily, 2nd week
Music Making for Children
Designed for Pre-school, primary Elementary classroom
teachers and church musicians; 3 hours daily, first week
American and Hungarian faculty:
László Cser, Niké St. Clair, Marilyn Sousa, Dr. Kathy Hickey, Diane Geller, April Johnson
*Each level is 3 weeks; Certification granted after 3 summers plus academic year, or 4 summers and completion of all coursework. Choral Experience course includes Ensemble and Conducting.
Not convinced yet? Come check out the first day of class as our guest!
You may also audit any of the classes you have completed before if you are looking for a refresher.
Scholarship applicants must:
- be a current member of OAKE
- be currently teaching music (preferred, but not necessary).
- be a Music or Music Education major graduate. Undergraduate students may be considered.
- submit a letter of recommendation from a principal, music advisor, supervisor, or professor.
- pay the tuition balance at registration. It is further expected that the recipient will fulfill all course requirements on time or forfeit the scholarship. In that event, scholarship funds must be returned to the KASC Scholarship Fund.
- Scholarship recipient is not eligible for early registration discount.
- Applications due in May.